Trump’s First Event After The Mar-a-Lago Raid

The past president will make his first campaign event since the FBI raided his Mar-a-Lago residence a few weeks ago with a rally in Pennsylvania. 

Three weeks have passed since the strike on Trump’s residence.

SPECIAL: Get Your FREE Red Trump 2024 Hat Here

During that time, the former president made no secret of his displeasure with the unimaginable search to recover boxes of confidential documents he brought to his Palm Beach, Florida resort after leaving the white house. 

Midterm Campaign 

In Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, the past president will campaign for state Senator Doug Mastriano, the Republican nominee for governor, and Republican Senate candidate Dr. Mehmet Oz.

As the ceremonial start of the midterm election season, the event falls during Labor Day weekend. 

The ex-president has been very vocal about his disapproval of the FBI’s raid on his social media accounts. He has even called into several conservative radio programs to complain about the treatment he received at the hands of federal agents and to condemn the probe.

Trump is most politically at ease during campaign rallies when he often deviates from his prepared remarks to attack his rivals.

At Saturday’s event, he was anticipated to speak extensively on the raid and inquiry into him. Possible targets of his ire include President Joe Biden and Attorney General Merrick Garland, both of whom he may accuse of partisan bias in relation to the raid on his Florida residence. 

Just last week, the Justice Department issued a heavily redacted version of the affidavit justifying the search. 

The paper was largely redacted, but it did state “national defense information” was discovered in various boxes taken from Mar-a-Lago earlier last month and this was the basis for obtaining a warrant.

There was also mention of possible proof of a cover-up of criminal activity.

(The infamous DOJ photo of scattered papers during FBI’s raid of Trump’s home.)

According to the affidavit, the August 8 raid was prompted by the discovery of classified information in 184 documents sent to the National Archives and Records Administration in January from the former president’s property.

There were 67 “confidential” papers, 92 “secret,” and 25 “top secret” papers included in that group. 

Not All Support Him

Though the DOJ is still looking into Trump’s handling of White House papers, he has not been prosecuted in connection with the case. He claims his possessions are completely innocent because they were “all declassified.” 

However, not all his legal supporters believe his actions are above reproach. On Friday, Alan Dershowitz, a famous constitutional lawyer who represented Trump during the first impeachment hearings, said there was sufficient evidence to indict the president. 

The “Nixon-Clinton standards” are what he called the precedents that would prevent prosecutors from charging him. 

On Friday, Trump’s former attorney general, William Barr, stated his former boss had no valid cause to hold onto the records. On Fox News, Barr said he cannot think of a good reason for them to be removed from government service if they are classified. 

This article appeared in The Political Globe and has been published here with permission.

Recent